Wednesday, December 1, 2010

A Little Tutorial and Sugar Nellie Stamps

Hello everyone! I have a little fun tutorial to show you today!  In the December issue of Craft Stamper I had a few Sugar Nellie cards published. How fun! Anyhow, I showed an idea on a sparkly technique.  Since the publication didn't have a ton of room for photos, I could only use text to explain.  I think I need to show a little tutorial on this technique too with photos.  Here are two of the cards shown in the magazine. You should be able to click on them to see a better view of the glitter.

 Sugar Nellie Mary Hall - Snow Angel
Sugar Nellie Diane Duda - Winter Birds

A few photo instructions on how to do this sparkly technique!

 Tap your clear embossing ink over the image or "piece" that you want sparkly.  
TIP:  If you emboss over something colored be sure you color very dark because it fades quite a bit after heating.
 Sprinkle iridescent embossing powder over the top of image.  Any iridescent will work, but go for the more "clear" look rather than pink or blue tinges.  This one is called Mystic and was bought several years ago so I can no longer find it. Sorry!
 Shake off excess.

Use tweezers to hold and heat very well! TIP:  I let the heat tool heat up before shooting directly on the image.  Sometimes I start from the back to prevent it from blowing off all the embossing powder.  It depends on how juicy your embossing pad it.
Ta da!!!! Instant glitter effect!  This piece will be used on my Just Magnolia card for tomorrow so stay tuned!  I have also used it on a Leanne Ellis card HERE!

If you are wondering why not just use glitter, well, I prefer this method because I can rub my hand over it and it will stay intact, no messy glitter but still the beautiful effect.

If you have any more questions, just ask away!

Hugs, Dena

13 comments:

Fleur said...

Hi Dena, saw these in Craft stamper & they are beautiful. I love the snow angel especially
Hugz Fleur xXx

angelwhispers said...

Lovely Dena and the cards are just stunning love them both everything about them is fab!!! Chanelle xx

Louise said...

WOW Dena :)
This is absolutely fab :) Thank´s for your inspiration :) Stunning cards and an exeptional tutorial! Can´t wait to try it :)
Hugs

Christina C. said...

Dena, this is fabulous...thank you so much for the picture tutorial.

dolcreations said...

How cool is that! I wondered how you did yours.I actually had bought these adhesive sheets (which are no longer available) so I am so grateful to know your trick!
LOVE your two gorgeous cards!!!!

Julie said...

Hello Petal!! Thanks for the tut - great idea!! Hope you had a fab thanksgiving with all your lovely family!! Juliexx

Chrissy said...

Wow, that is so cool. I love tutorials, thankyou. I'm going to have a bash at this, but better get a juicier versmark pad, mines a bit dry....OK. BLACK. I had an oops.
Luv CHRISSYxx

Grenouille Greetings said...

These are tooo pretty, Dena! Just gorgeous and thanks for the teeny tutorial too! Hugs, Lesley

Tracy said...

Hi dena, will definately be having a go at this technique, thank you, your creations are always gorgeous too.
Happy crafting
Tracy x

Tammi said...

That's awesome, congrats! These are both so cute! Awesome tutorial too, thanks!

RubyM:) said...

I'M SUPER EXCITED TO BE BACK AND BE ABLE TO VISIT YOU DENA!!!! I AM SOOOOO GLAD YOU POSTED THIS.I saw the turn out on your LOTV card ,my jaw dropped!!!!!!!!!!! I was about to email you and ask.I iwll definatley give it a go but first to buy a heat gun mines mysteriously didn't want to turn on no more???! I used it ummm @ 2 or 3x lol!!!!!! THANKS FOR SHARING!RubyM:)

Beth said...

Oh this is so gorgeous! I've done a similar thing on my Penny Black card this week but using a spray on glitter, but that's silver so wouldn't be much good on a coloured image, I'm definitely going to try this way - thanks!

Love Beth xx

D K Crafts said...

Hi Dena. These are absolutely gorgeous cards. Got the link for this tutorial from the Sugar Nellie blog. Thanks, maybe get to give it a try, probably after Christmas, though. Donna

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails