Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Answering a Few Questions!

Recently I have had quite a few emails about what supplies I use for Distress Ink coloring.  I have made some videos that are on Youtube, but here is a quick run down of what I use!

PAPER:  Strathmore Watercolor Paper 90lb. I like this one because I can scrub and it doesn't ball up.  I use 90lb. because it can go through my printer for digis!  I use an Epson Printer to print with and it does NOT smudge.  My HP Printer smudges terribly.  My Epson is a cheap $49 Stylus NX105.


PAINTBRUSHES:  I use three different brushes, all necessary for me haha!  1 large waterbarrel brush, a #0 round by American Painter made of Taklon, and a #1 Round by American Painter made of Taklon.  These last two brushes are super cheap!!! I think they are $2.79 from Michaels and I replace the #1 pretty often as soon as it loses it's shape.  See how it loses it shape below:


The one on the left is trash for me!  Pass it on to the kiddos! I have found that once it loses it's shape, it doesn't hold the right amount of ink for me!  It is either too wet or too dry.

INK:  I always use the Distress Ink REFILLS.  I know the pads can be used, but I just prefer to use the refills.  I put a few drops in watercolor palette such as this:


I lay it in a drawer when I am done and don't cover it or anything.  The ink will not dry out!

I think I have about covered most of the questions I have been getting!  Feel free to comment if you have more questions and I will edit this post with answers!

Have fun!

Dena

6 comments:

Shazza said...

thanks Dena, I so want to try watercolouring with DI's so need to invest in some good paper x

Tanya said...

This is cool, thanks. I too need better paper.

Karina said...

It's great to see what others use for their artwork. Thank you so much for sharing with us.
Hugs, Karina

dolcreations said...

Dena, a friend just got back from the States and purchased this watercolour paper for me as we could not get it here. I just tried it yesterday...it's the best! Thank-you so much for all your help with this love of distress inks!

Elise said...

Oooh Dena! Thank you for the tips!!! Gosh I wish HP didn't smear! hehe!

Big Hugs,
Elise

ednamburgess said...

Thanks for this info. Will look for those brushes next trip to Michael's. Edna

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails