Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Altered Cigar Box and Quick Tutorial

I made this cigar box for a friend of mine who celebrated her birthday last week.  It was a blast to make and I used all the the new LOTV Grunge stamps.  I made a small tutorial on how I did the papers for this box below.


The only printed paper is the green on the inside and it is by Close To My Heart.

Crackle accents on the clock and stickles on the butterflies.

Here is how I made the paper.  First, I inked the rose from the Grunge Elements set with Victorian Velvet and the stem with Bundled Sage Distress Inks and randomly stamp onto cream cardstock.

After that, I ink the Vintage Backs - Script with Walnut Stain Distress Inks and stamped directly over the roses.  The stamp would only fit halfway, so I stamped them side by side to cover the cardstock.

After stamping the entire piece of cardstock I distress inked the edges with Walnut Stain.

Now it was time to cover the box with the papers that I cut to fit all the sides.  I glued them down with Modge Podge only gluing the underside.

Next, I used Modeling paste that I added cream paint to and used a stencil to apply a textured design.


After all was added, I sponged Claudine Hellmuth Studio Medium over the entire box to seal the distress inks and modeling paste.  If you tap up and down and don't use a swiping motion, it won't bleed, but seal the design.  Also, use very little, just enough to cover the surface.

Tada!!  Add some flowers and some tags from the Tags Le Jardin and that's it! I adore these new stamps and have had a ton of fun doing something a little different!

I hope you like my project!  Thank you so much for stopping by!

Hugs, Dena

26 comments:

Juls said...

Wow this is just stunning!!! Hugs Juls

Elise said...

OMGOSH, OMGOSH Dena!!!! I know I've already told you .. but I'll tell you again .. this is A-MA-ZING! Wow wow wow!!!! I am simply blown to bits by this, and I could stare at this all day long! The amount of work you put into this, all the beyond GORGEOUS details is simply INCREDIBLY BRILLIANT!!! Sigh .. I'm so in love! Only thing is .. hmmm .. I've already told you this .. my birthday wasn't last week, it's actually in January! hahahahah!!! I'm so kidding with you! :) I know your friend was over the moon THRILLED to receive such a TREASURED gift from you! She's a lucky lucky gal to have you as her friend! :)

Much Love Sweetheart,
Elise

Riet said...

wowwww Dena,This is so wonderful.

Hugs Riet.xx

Jacqui's little piece of England said...

OH MY WORD Dena what a super box and so beautifully decorated. Thank you for showing how you've created this beauty
jacqui xxx

cuilliesocks said...

Absolutely gorgeous box, the whole design of it is so wonderfully vintage, love the colours, Kate x

Sara said...

Wow, beautiful box, love the papers you have created, very clever, hugs Sara xxx

Christine L said...

Hi Dena

This is simply STUNNING.... I so love the vintage feel and design.. And wowww thank you for the brilliant tutorial too!

Don't know if you know of Mona Pendleton - http://cupcakescreations.blogspot.co.uk/
She uses lots of paste and stencils too - and lots of mixed media - and I am also in awe of some of her creations, like yours!

Hugs
Christine x

Sue - bearhouse said...

WOW!!!!!!! This is truly stunning Dena. I love the design, such gorgeous detailing and the way you have made the papers is just amazing.
Thank you for sharing
hugs Sue xx

Karen W said...

Wow I totally agree with all the above, this is fabulous!! I like the modeling paste over the paper, I would never have thought to do that and it's wonderful. I have brass stencils and the paste and could do that also. Great tips and gorgeous creation!!!

Tonniece said...

Stunning box. Anyone would love to own this beauty.
TFS
Hugz Tonniece

Teri said...

Oh Dena, I love how you say... and that's it!! LOL!! You make it sound sooo easy!! It is just beautiful in every way! I love,love, love it!!! I'm sure your friend will treasure it forever!!! You are so gifted!!
Hugs,
Teri

Christine Dol said...

Dena, this is such a beautiful gift. Thank-you so much for the tutorial on how you made this gorgeous piece. I love how you stamped the roses and the script to make it all so vintage.Love the little tag. Your friend is a lucky girl!

Ann Marie Governale said...

Just gorgeous Dina...I love how you created the dp's ... can apply that to anything.. I just love that! Great tutorial and beautiful altered box....just added to my Pinterest page! xxx Ann Marie

sonia said...

This is soooooo lovely, as are all of your creations. Thanks for sharing :-) xxxx

Shazza said...

glorious box, love how you created this x

ang said...

wow what a gorgeous stunning box, love the tutorial angxxx

Molecraft said...

A truly amazing creation, a work of art!
Helen x

Lou said...

Hi! this really is gorgeous Dena,a work of art with making all your own pretty designed paper.Love the detail on the box too and such a special keepsake.
hugs Lou.xx

Lorraine said...

This is gorgeous Dena. You've put so much work into it and it shows. You are so creative. Love it!
Lorraine x

Vick said...

Hi Dena, I absolutely love it I love altering boxes journals etc and making your own paper is such fun too, I like doing that too, cause it means I can keep my dp's to stroke and ooh and rr over, lol, all I can say is 'lucky friend xxxxxhugs babe
vick xxx

sueincanada said...

What a beautiful gift Dena and what a lucky friend.

Sassy Raggedy said...

WOW, I am going to try this Dena. Just got to find me a empty cigar box...Guess I could use a smaller box in case I mess up...lol Yours is lovely...So creative My Friend...hugz, joann

Patsy said...

This is absolutely gorgeous! I will try to make one for myself. I have a "thing" for boxes! This is prettier than any I have purchased from a store! Just beautiful!

Marjorie said...

Wow!! This is soooo beautiful Dena, lots of inspiration and tips, and the finished box is just 'STUNNING'!!!!
Hugs,
Marjorie xx

Norma said...

Wowzer, that's one gorgeous box, Dena. I love it!!! Terrific job on the self-designed paper--it's fabulous. Thanks for the tute.
Hugs,
Norma

saeed ahmed thanvi said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails